Support our mums and young children
Mums we work with feel isolated in their struggles with family life. Their babies and toddlers are often affected as a result. Volunteers with our Mums and young children team are vital to making these families feel welcomed, listened to and supported – could that be you?
Be a play volunteer
- Play with the children. Support their development and build their confidence
- Help set up and pack away a safe and welcoming play environment
- Engage with the mums
Be a refreshment volunteer
- Prepare healthy snacks for the children
- Make and serve refreshments
- Chat with children and mums
"I feel valued and that I am making a real difference to the lives of people struggling to overcome their circumstances."
"Knowing that the children are safe and cared for by the volunteers is a great help and the children are able to build up relationships with the volunteers gradually and without pressure."
"The people who make up Friends of the Family became my family when I needed it most and I cannot thank them enough."
What do we offer?
The chance to improve a young child’s confidence; and help local mums and their families to build a more positive future. You will gain hands-on experience in supporting children to initiate and direct their own play in order to explore their own experiences and further development.
Other benefits include new friendships, induction training on play and safeguarding, weekly session debriefs and support meetings as a team, ongoing training and reimbursement of travel expenses. Find out more from our volunteers.
What do we expect in return?
- A regular weekly commitment from 9:30am to 1pm (Tuesday and Friday)
- Following a trial period, an agreement to volunteer for at least one year
- Regular attendance at team meetings
- Attendance at induction training and familiarity with the induction booklet
How to apply
Complete the volunteer enquiry form below, email email@example.com or call us on 01962 864466 for an application pack.
Volunteers must be a minimum age of 18. Applicants to the role are subject to an interview, DBS and references check.